Skip to main content

NEW PAINTING Labradorite

 

Labradorite, acrylic on panel, 23-1/2" x 23-3/4", $1200 plus s&h to the first asking nicely. Questions can always come to me.

labradorite is a stone of transformation 


and she found me when I needed her.

It was the holiday season. I was broken inside for a host of reasons. Grieving innumerable losses and uncertain what my future held. Everyone around me was happy, cheerful, soaking up the seasonal joy wildly on display, which made me feel an even greater level of despair.

I was at the mall. I had shopping to do that I had put off for too long. I wandered into the Nieman Marcus outlet, one of my favorite stores for the eye candy factor, and thought perhaps oogling at pretty things might lift my mood a bit before I went deeper into the mall to complete my holiday shopping.

And then I saw her. I had never seen anything quite as beautiful as this necklace. A tiny, delicate gold chain looped through a nearly 2" long emerald cut stone with such fire, moving from the palest blue to bright cobalt to olive green, delicately veined with sparkley inclusions. The jewelry counter employee, a sub from the shoe department, had no info. They couldn't tell me who the designer was or the type of jewel. But I was utterly smitten. And on a mission that absolutely did not include the spontaneous purchase of jewelry for myself. I held the stone and felt her sort of buzzing in my hand, which I attributed to the rush of adrenaline from when I allowed myself to imagine buying her for my own stocking. Then I said my goodbyes to her and set off for the toy store.

Somehow at the end of the day I found myself back in Nieman Marcus. I didn't care who made the necklace or what the stone was. I wore her out, tucked under my scarf, resting perfectly at my collarbone. 

That was 9 years ago. She's rarely been off since.

I learned that she was labradorite, and I did a little research. At the time I knew nothing about minerals or the spiritual meaning and properties of them and quickly became fascinated.

Labradorite tempers negativity, even that within ourselves. She enhances inner will and strength, helping the user reconnect with their wisdom. She clears throat and third eye chakras so one can see their truth - and stand in it. And speak to it. And live in it.

Which was the perfect partner for me and that time of my life. And, too, a great inspiration to drive this she-wolf painting.  Spirit wolves symbolize strong connections with instincts and intuition. They are a powerful guiding force. As is the moon. All three laced together result in a painting about stepping into yourself and standing tall.

Here is the link to view Labradorite larger, peek at her in a room, or to make her yours.

If you've never seen labradorite yourself, check her out.

Thanks so much for your interest in my artwork,
All my best, warmly, Kim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Copyright Thieves

Dear Copyright Thieves,   Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's free for the taking. So let's just stop pretending the internet is a free-for-all.   Don't play the card that you didn't know - that's insulting. And don't also tell me that you meant to follow up and get permission but never got a chance to. That's insulting too. And by the way, don't you have a copyright protection notice on your own site?   And don't even try and point the finger at a third party who commissioned you to make a copy of my painting - again, an insult - you and I both know the difference between a reference photo and a painting.   And don't tell me that I asked for it because I share my artwork on the internet. I share my paintings and ideas and the stories behind them so as to encourage others to pursue  their own passions . I do not share so that those lacking integrity and morals can copy and market the images as their own...

Grindstone

"Grindstone", 16" x 20" acrylics on museum quality panel, depicting Grindstone, just a few strides away from winning The Kentucky Derby in 1996. Read more about this painting's story below - it's a good one! And inquiries may come directly  to me .  Paying it Forward Shortly after getting The Derby Gig, which neatly dovetailed my childhood passion for horse racing with my grown up obsession with painting, I started formulating a plan to give back to the universe. As it played out, The Kentucky Derby Museum got involved, and it was decided I would donate a piece to them, something they could use as a fundraising tool to further their education efforts.  "Would I be interested in painting Grindstone, the winner of the 1996 Derby?" they asked. But of course! Little did I know the background story, though. Every year the Museum asks the owners of the Kentucky Derby winner to donate one breeding to the Museum when th...

Golden Open Acrylics

I get all sorts of process oriented questions. Most recently I've been getting asked a lot about my paints and palette, which made me realize what a nice blog topic this would make! I use a Masterson Sta-Wet Premier palette box . This is comprised of a box (think Tupperware) with a sponge liner and a slice of palette paper that work together to keep my paints wet. This setup allows me to work with the same palette for about a full week, having the box open for multiple hours every day. You can see what the palette looks like at the beginning of a new session above - below the exact same palette after this week's work. For the last 25 years I have used Golden brand acrylics, mediums, and varnish. I love the overall quality of these paints and the fact that, when I have a question, their customer service department is made up of artists who actually use the products. Until last year, I used their Heavy Body paints exclusively. They have a buttery consistency, a little loose...