Skip to main content

NEW PAINTING Lisianthus

 

Lisianthus, acrylic on handmade round cradled wood panel (by Bara Woodshaping), 30" in diameter, 1" profile, with cleated hanging system that allows the panel to hang flush against the wall (no need to frame), $2300 plus s&h to the first asking nicely. Questions can always come to me.

lisianthus are one of my favorite flowers

 

there's something extra special about their twisted buds and delicate stems. I feel like they are little fouette turns. Or maybe little party crackers. What do you think?

Combining these florals with the fox was an exercise in self control. I think at one point there must have been 100 blooms in this piece - that was when I realized I needed to dial my enthusiasm down a bit! So instead of the actual flowers, I embraced mark making that felt like the lisianthus, and twisted my brush through marbled puddles of paint.

Also, I cannot say enough about this substrate, a gorgeous handmade panel from Bara Woodshaping in Oregon. The wooden surface is glorious to work on, the cradled sides are perfectly balanced, and the panel includes a built in cleated hanging system so that it lies perfectly flat against the wall. It is a stunning presentation. Bara's panels are like fine pieces of furniture, and it's such a treat to get to paint on them. 

Here is the link to view Lisianthus larger, peek at her in a room, or to make her yours.

Thanks so much for your interest in my artwork,
All my best, warmly, Kim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Copyright Thieves

Dear Copyright Thieves,   Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's free for the taking. So let's just stop pretending the internet is a free-for-all.   Don't play the card that you didn't know - that's insulting. And don't also tell me that you meant to follow up and get permission but never got a chance to. That's insulting too. And by the way, don't you have a copyright protection notice on your own site?   And don't even try and point the finger at a third party who commissioned you to make a copy of my painting - again, an insult - you and I both know the difference between a reference photo and a painting.   And don't tell me that I asked for it because I share my artwork on the internet. I share my paintings and ideas and the stories behind them so as to encourage others to pursue  their own passions . I do not share so that those lacking integrity and morals can copy and market the images as their own...

Grindstone

"Grindstone", 16" x 20" acrylics on museum quality panel, depicting Grindstone, just a few strides away from winning The Kentucky Derby in 1996. Read more about this painting's story below - it's a good one! And inquiries may come directly  to me .  Paying it Forward Shortly after getting The Derby Gig, which neatly dovetailed my childhood passion for horse racing with my grown up obsession with painting, I started formulating a plan to give back to the universe. As it played out, The Kentucky Derby Museum got involved, and it was decided I would donate a piece to them, something they could use as a fundraising tool to further their education efforts.  "Would I be interested in painting Grindstone, the winner of the 1996 Derby?" they asked. But of course! Little did I know the background story, though. Every year the Museum asks the owners of the Kentucky Derby winner to donate one breeding to the Museum when th...

Golden Open Acrylics

I get all sorts of process oriented questions. Most recently I've been getting asked a lot about my paints and palette, which made me realize what a nice blog topic this would make! I use a Masterson Sta-Wet Premier palette box . This is comprised of a box (think Tupperware) with a sponge liner and a slice of palette paper that work together to keep my paints wet. This setup allows me to work with the same palette for about a full week, having the box open for multiple hours every day. You can see what the palette looks like at the beginning of a new session above - below the exact same palette after this week's work. For the last 25 years I have used Golden brand acrylics, mediums, and varnish. I love the overall quality of these paints and the fact that, when I have a question, their customer service department is made up of artists who actually use the products. Until last year, I used their Heavy Body paints exclusively. They have a buttery consistency, a little loose...